author: Vicky & Ruth
prep time: 15 mins
cook time: 1 hour
total time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 dozen asparagus, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ cups water with 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder or ( SEE NOTE 1)
- ½ cup water or vegetable broth
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- You can use 1 ½ cup vegetable broth instead of the 1 ½ cups of water and bouillon powder
- The onions, garlic, peppers and tomato paste that are the base for this vegan paella can be made 2-3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. Alternatively you can freeze it and use it when ready to cook the quinoa paella.
- Bump up the plant-based protein by adding chickpeas or beans
- Heat olive oil in an ovenproof 12 inch deep round pan. Saute onions and garlic over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add diced peppers and ½ tsp of the salt and continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomato paste and asparagus, mix well and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add quinoa, paprika, the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper and saute with the vegetables for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water and bouillon or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes. (If you feel the water or broth is cooking too fast and the dish may burn, just add ¼ of additional liquid at a time.)
- While the quinoa cooks preheat the oven to 375F
- Add ½ cup of water or vegetable broth to the pan, mix well, taste and adjust seasoning to your taste and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and top with cooked or raw lemon slices before serving