author: Kelly Roenicke
prep time: 2 hours
cook time: 14 mins
total time: 2 hours 14 mins
yield: 32 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (can use Robin Hood or Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 blend)
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance soy free buttery spread
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp poppy seed
For the Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice or water
- In a large bowl, beat the buttery spread, sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the gluten free flour blend and lemon zest, mix to combine. Add the poppy seeds and mix. (If the dough seems too wet, add a bit more flour.)
- Divide the dough into two parts, and shape into discs. Wrap the discs with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, or freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and rolling surface with gluten free flour. Place the dough on the surface and roll to about a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut out cookies, and quickly transfer them to the cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the glaze:
- Sift the confectioner’s sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, or water, depending on if you want a lemony glaze, or just a sugary glaze, and whisk. If the glaze is too thick, add more liquid.
- Drizzle glaze over cookies