prep time: 34 mins
cook time: 30 mins
total time: 1 hour 4 mins
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour (can use Robin Hood)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (leave this out if you are using flour that has this such as, Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 packet rapid rise/instant yeast (equivalent to 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup honey*
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups warm water (100-110°F)
- 3 egg whites**
- 1 teaspoon salt
* use local honey for the added benefit of inoculation with local allergens and supporting local business
** to replace eggs try applesauce, bananas, soy yogurt or half a cup of buttermilk for every egg
- Move the top oven rack to the middle rack. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9-inch x 5-inch bread pan or 9-inch x 4-inch small loaf pan with gluten-free cooking spray.
- Add the gluten-free flour, baking powder, and instant yeast to a large bowl and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add the avocado oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, and warm water to the flour mixture and mix on low for 1 minute.
- Add the egg whites (or substitutes) and the salt to the dough and mix on medium for 1 minute. The dough will look like a thick cake batter.
- Pour the dough into a greased 9-inch x 5-inch bread pan or the 9-inch x 4-inch small loaf pan. Spray plastic wrap with gluten-free cooking spray and cover the top of the pan.
- Cover the pan with a kitchen towel and allow the bread to rise in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes at 350°F. Bake the bread on the middle rack horizontally until golden brown
- Allow the loaf to cool for 10 minutes in the pan (do not completely cool in the pan as it will get soggy)
- Remove the loaf from the baking pan and place it on a cooling rack. Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.
- Store the leftover bread unsliced in an airtight container, once it’s completely cooled. It may be kept on the counter at room temperature.