Wow, a patient of mine recently brought this to my attention, I’d never had it before. What an easy and delicious combination of veggies and spices.
It contains: turmeric and ginger – great for digestion and inflammation, cinnamon – great for blood sugar regulation, onions and garlic – great for your immune and cardiovascular systems, kale – great source of fibre and I3C (for hormone regulation), lentils and chickpeas – great sources of fibre and protein, and the list goes on.
What’s also great about it – you can substitute just about any veggies you want, or add meat if you’d like.
My wife and I loved it! Our eldest liked it too, but our other 2 kids weren’t sure – this was pretty different to what they’re used to. But definitely worth a try during cold fall and winter nights!
Spice ingredients (already ground and combined in a bowl):
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp curry powder
- Avocado oil to sauté veggies ~1 tbsp
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- about 1.5L broth – I had some left over chicken broth
- 2 cups chick peas
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1 tbsp honey
- Warm the oil in a large pot, and add the onions and carrots, sautéing until soft
- Add the garlic, stir for 30 seconds until aromatic, add the kale and all the spices, stir until kale is limp – a few minutes
- Add the broth and all the other ingredients and bring to a boil
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better