It’s summer, we should all be eating more vegetables! Instead of using lettuce, try amping up the health-o-meter by using kale instead. It’s a little tougher, but the taste is incredible, especially if you get some that is locally grown. The mustard vinaigrette dressing is super easy and adds some punch to the veggies. This heasy (healthy and easy!) kale salad recipe is sure to be a family hit!
Read here for more on the health benefits of the Brassica family of vegetables, including cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, mustard, collard greens, etc, and why you should eat more of them!
- A bunch of kale, chopped
- Some seeds – either sunflower or pumpkin
- Other veggies – like red onion, cucumber, broccoli and/or peppers
- Some fruit – strawberries, blueberries or apple
- Option: cubed sheep’s feta
Mustard Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp mustard (either yellow, dijon, honey, etc.)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- Combine salad stuff in a bowl
- Combine dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake well
- Pour dressing over salad, toss and serve
Dr. Tim’s Tips:
- Play around with the salad ingredients – lots of different options you can get locally grown
- Play around with the ratio of the dressing ingredients, and the amount you put on your salad
- This salad keeps well overnight, so make more and take some for lunch the next day!