We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yet I keep hearing from patients that they never have time to eat well in the morning. I always say you should be thinking about protein and fruit or vegetables every time they eat, so my good friend Erin Carpenter has lovingly provided this recipe so that you can not only save time in the morning, but start the day off right with what you need. Please keep reading for this amazing gluten and dairy free overnight oatmeal.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 3 cups rice milk (or any milk substitute)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 4 chopped apples
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter substitute
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar, or replace with correct ratio of natural sweetener, e.g.
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Garnish: rice milk, fruit, nuts, etc.
- Combine all ingredients (except garnish) in a crockpot, stir, and set to low for 8 hours overnight
- In the morning, add the garnish, stir, serve and enjoy!